Thursday, April 21, 2016

Hyper Light Drifter's Ominous and Majestic Tones

Another Kickstarted backed game has risen through indie scene and into many gamers hearts is Hyper Light Drifter. Hyper Light Drifter was released on PC in March of 2016 and will be releasing on consoles mid-2016. The game was developed by Heart Machine. The game is a 2D action RPG that has a somewhat top down prospective with 8 to 16-bit graphics. Even with this graphical limitation the game still has beautiful scenes and images. 

Back again composing another indie game masterpiece is Disasterpeace. I will not be going over who he is again if you want to read more about him either go to his Bandcamp or read my post about Fez. I will talk about how this games music is practically designed like Dark Souls where there is epic boss music, but there is music when traveling around the game world. I will be talking about two songs that appear in the game that are my favorite.

The first song I will be talking about is titled "The Midnight Woods". This song is a very slow synth song that doesn't have that many layers and is pretty simple, but that is fine because this is zone music which isn't supposed to evoke any anger feelings. This song promotes adventure by sounding very calm and majestic.  

The other song I will be talking about is very different than the first and it is "The Sentients". The song has a lot of layers of music playing all at the same time adding a level of intensity. There is also a heavy beat playing in the foreground of the music that keeps your heart going throughout the song. 

Hyper Light Drifter right now is only available on PC so I have only been able to play for a short time as I am more of a console gamer. I hope relatively soon it will be released on console so i can really get into it, but until then I will keep listening to the soundtrack to be prepared for the game. If you want to listen to the soundtrack you can go here to YouTube or you can buy it from Disasterpeace's BandCamp. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment